Tuesday, February 9, 2010

He Has AIDS

So last night as I sat on my couch and watched a movie around 12am I received a call.  I don't get too many anonymous calls, but my interest was peaked as to who could possibly be calling me this late and didn't want me to know who they were.  After three or four rings I answered the phone and there was a woman on the other end, she didn't say hello or anything, she got straight to business.  The first thing she asked was "Do you know _______?".  So my first thought was okay this is a friend of mines girl who is going thru his phone and calling females to see if he 's creeping.  Slightly offended and caught off guard I quickly told her that I knew him, but that was the extent of it and that she had reached me in error.  She then told me the shocking news and she stated the following, "Two weeks ago we found out that my best friend contracted AIDS from him and he gave us his phone to contact people".  As I sat there in shock and disbelief at what I was hearing she began to mention that her friend had been in a mental instituation and was taking this hard as I would expect anyone who has been given what's thought of as a death sentence at the hands of someone they trusted would be.  Af ter several more minutes of this young lady divulging information to me I left the conversation and told her I would keep her friend in my prayers.  Needless to say it really spooked me and made me think about the fact that we all slip up sometimes and think we can trust people with our bodies and our lives.  I thought to myself, "what if that name had of been different", "how would I react"???  So many questions and answers that I never want to have to come up with.  I ignore HIV/AIDS awareness week or month every year, it's a taboo topic that non of us really want to ackowledge fully.  Granted I've been tested and knowing is beautiful, but ladies, fellas got to be more careful I know I sound like an after school special, but rap it up everytime!  Don't be a statistic! 

No comments: